Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I'M NOT A CYNIC

Because of my acerbic opinions I'm often accused of being a cynic. I reply that I'm not a cynic, I'm a skeptic.

It turns out one of my comedic heroes, Harry Shearer, who I'm going to see perform this Friday, often gets the same question (this time from Bob, the local entertainment columnist). He makes the same distinction I do too. I'm glad there's at least a few skeptical brethren in the mass media like Shearer who still have a fully functioning bullshit detector.

Bob:

Being someone who reads the newspaper and absorbs all this information about what’s going on in the world, do you think that ultimately makes you cynical?
Harry:

No. It makes you highly skeptical. The people I make fun of are the cynics. They’re the people, whether they are in broadcasting or the government, who think that people are saps, that people have an attention span of four seconds, that people won’t know if they’re telling the truth or not. Those are the true cynics. The skeptic’s job is to expose the cynic.
You can read more about how Shearer started out with Jack Benny and his influence on his comedy style at Bob's Humblog.

Many of us know about the voices Shearer does for The Simpsons, his role in Spinal Tap and other Christopher Guest films, and his radio show, but did you know Shearer played Eddie Haskell in the original pilot for Leave it to Beaver?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun tonight!!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Pinky Royale said...

You know, Mr. Herzog, if that really is your name. I never thought of you as a cynic or a skeptic. I just thought you were a smart ass with an impressive vocabulary and a wealth of obscure references to lay infidels to waste with.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home