Tuesday, July 25, 2006

CLASH OF THE TITANS


I live in the little northern California college/hippie town of Arcata, but right across the Humboldt bay is the larger city of Eureka, a depressed former mill town. No artist captures the rubbery befuddlement, meth fueled insanity, and cloudy humor of the down and out residents of Eureka better than Jesse Wiedel. I first became aware of his work when he did a series of paintings set in local bars called "The Unbearable Ugliness of Being", and his work has just gotten better over the years. He creates a surreal world of random violence and black humor that is quite singular.

Check out more of his art here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pinky Royale said...

Good call, man. I saw one of his openings at 321 Coffee years ago and laughed. If I wasn't perpetually broke, I would have bought something. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought it all. As it was, I settled for 2 postcards, because free things are awesome.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Uncle Jesse said...

wow! thanks for the plug. glad ya like em. i'm still pretty cheap, you know...
-jesse

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BOY JAY, YOU'RE PRETTY HARD ON EUREKA. I've seen the sweet strokes of Jesse's paint. I guess you have never been to Portland. Anyway, too me, Jesse's work represents MOST cities on the west coast...other than, of course, the magical, Mayberryesque town of Arcata.

C

3:23 PM  
Blogger J. Herzog said...

I don't think I'm too hard on Eureka. If Jesse can find inspiration there, it must not be too bad a place.

At least it's not boring and predictible like Arcata...

J.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home