Tuesday, July 25, 2006

CLASH OF THE TITANS


I live in the little northern California college/hippie town of Arcata, but right across the Humboldt bay is the larger city of Eureka, a depressed former mill town. No artist captures the rubbery befuddlement, meth fueled insanity, and cloudy humor of the down and out residents of Eureka better than Jesse Wiedel. I first became aware of his work when he did a series of paintings set in local bars called "The Unbearable Ugliness of Being", and his work has just gotten better over the years. He creates a surreal world of random violence and black humor that is quite singular.

Check out more of his art here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pinky Royale said...

Good call, man. I saw one of his openings at 321 Coffee years ago and laughed. If I wasn't perpetually broke, I would have bought something. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought it all. As it was, I settled for 2 postcards, because free things are awesome.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Uncle Jesse said...

wow! thanks for the plug. glad ya like em. i'm still pretty cheap, you know...
-jesse

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BOY JAY, YOU'RE PRETTY HARD ON EUREKA. I've seen the sweet strokes of Jesse's paint. I guess you have never been to Portland. Anyway, too me, Jesse's work represents MOST cities on the west coast...other than, of course, the magical, Mayberryesque town of Arcata.

C

3:23 PM  
Blogger J. Herzog said...

I don't think I'm too hard on Eureka. If Jesse can find inspiration there, it must not be too bad a place.

At least it's not boring and predictible like Arcata...

J.

7:16 PM  
Blogger ibrahim said...

Really trustworthy blog. Please keep updating with great posts like this one. I have booked marked your site and am about to email it to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading
Sesli sohbet Sesli chat
Seslisohbet Seslichat
Sesli sohbet siteleri Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli Chat
Sohbet Sesli siteler
Sohbet siteleri Chat siteleri
Sohbet merkezi chat merkezi
Sesli merkezi sesli Sohbet merkezi
Sesli chat merkezi Sohbetmerkezi
Sesli Sohbet Sesli Chat
SesliSohbet Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli sohbet siteleri SesliChat
Sesli Sesli siteler
Seslimuhabbet sesli muhabbet
sesli sohbet sesli chat siteleri
sesli sohbet siteleri sesli chat
seslisohbet seslichat
seslikent sesli kent
sesli sohbet sesli sohbet siteleri
sesli chat sesli chat siteleri
seslisohbet seslichat

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home